MDM for Education: Why It is Necessary for Schools
The paradigm shift towards remote technology in the wake of the pandemic has influenced quite a lot of industries globally. From remote workplaces to remote classrooms, utilisation of digital devices and mobile technology has evolved drastically.
However, this digital progression has also increased the risks associated with it. For instance, cybersecurity has become a significant concern for anyone associated with digital technology. Businesses, whether large or small, have to deal with cyber attacks in more ways than one.
And this is true for sectors like education and healthcare as well. To safeguard themselves against such cyber concerns, mobile device management software are implemented.
As educational institutions increase their use of digital technology to further their academic levels, cybersecurity measures play a critical role. MDM solutions for education are being increasingly implemented.
Moreover, with the recent influx of remote learning systems, the need for mobile device management for schools has increased as well. IT departments in educational institutions have to ensure that students handle digital technology correctly while safeguarding the mobile fleet from external cyber-attacks.
What is MDM for Schools?
Schools all over the world have embraced technology in a broad way. MDM solution for education is becoming a necessity due to the increased implementation of computers, smartphones, tablets, and other devices.
When the IT department is able to manage, control, and monitor the use of the mobile devices under them, they are better able to protect it from unauthorised uses. MDM solutions for schools allow the admins to ensure that both students and teachers use their dedicated devices for learning activities.
Furthermore, with properly enforced mobile device management solution for education, admins can set protocols that restrict usage to specific websites or applications or disable certain mobile functions like camera or browser, etc.
In addition to safeguarding against security threats, Mobile Device Management (MDM) for education can also provide teachers and administrators with additional control over device usage. By implementing MDM, they can restrict geographical boundaries by controlling locations across the network. This means they can see where a device is located when it's in use, or if it is being used outside the school network.
Such control helps to ensure that devices are being used appropriately and for educational purposes only. For instance, if a student is using a school-issued device outside the authorized geographical boundary, teachers and administrators can take necessary actions to prevent misuse. Tabnova MDM for schools provides teachers and administrators with additional control over device usage by enabling geographical boundary restrictions. This ensures that devices are used appropriately and for educational purposes only.
Why is MDM Solutions for Schools Necessary?
MDM solutions for schools provide school administrators, teachers, and students with the necessary digital protection systems that comply with GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation legislation. This legislation basically ensures that educational institutions that use mobile devices for educative purposes will follow the following:
- Separate business and personal data
- Conduct data audits
- Cover security protocols against threats
- Protocols for device visibility.
MDM solutions for education helps schools in safeguarding their data against external and internal cyber threat. It also covers a host of other benefits like:
- Easier collaboration and interaction between students through the use of educational tools. This enables students to interact with each other and work simultaneously on projects from different locations.
- Everyone involved with an educative project will find it easier to complete assignments well on time. Since everyone has access to the same data, there is a more efficient use of time.
- Teachers and tutors can provide extra study materials and support systems to students according to their individual requirements. This prompts adaptive and flexible learning systems that benefit everyone involved in academic growth.
- Better communication between teachers and students is possible. This is especially true for remote learning, where virtual classrooms and community message boards are available for students to communicate about the subject.
- Real-time learning is possible for students, irrespective of their geographical location. This helps students as well as teachers to gain access to information and academic materials immediately, without any waste of time and effort.
- Since every student and teacher gains access to educational materials through various apps or programs, there are no additional or extra costs splurged for the data. Thus, there is a huge reduction in the cost of learning.
- Since the students are given access to an expansive array of academic materials, they can follow tangents of information and discover and gain knowledge of various subjects that interest them.
Over the past couple of years, when technological advancements have slowly gained footing in schools, the presence of security threats has also loomed overhead. Security issues like data breaches, device thefts, unauthorised incursions into data pools, etc. are all viable threats that an educational institution must deal with.
Without an effective strategy of MDM for education, academic innovations would be lost to students. To safeguard these benefits, schools must enforce effective and robust MDM measures that push back against cyber threats and piracy.